12th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet, Volume 1 of 2
User Mode Instruction Prevention
User Mode Instruction Prevention (UMIP) provides additional hardening capability to the OS kernel by allowing certain instructions to execute only in supervisor mode (Ring 0).
- SGDT - Store the GDTR register value
- SIDT - Store the IDTR register value
- SLDT - Store the LDTR register value
- SMSW - Store Machine Status Word
- STR - Store the TR register value
An attempt at such execution in user mode causes a general protection exception (#GP).
UMIP specifications and functional descriptions are included in the Intel® 64 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual, Volume 3. Available at: