12th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
Datasheet, Volume 1 of 2
A newer version of this document is available. Customers should click here to go to the newest version.
Platform Power Control
The processor introduces Psys (Platform Power) to enhance processor power management. The Psys signal needs to be sourced from a compatible charger circuit and routed to the IMVP9 (voltage regulator). This signal will provide the total thermally relevant platform power consumption (processor and rest of platform) via SVID to the processor.
When the Psys signal is properly implemented, the system designer can utilize the package power control settings of PsysPL1, PsysPL1 Tau, PsysPL2, and PsysPL3 for additional manageability to match the platform power delivery and platform thermal solution limitations for Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0. The operation of the PsysPL1, PsysPL1 Tau, PsysPL2 and PsysPL3 are analogous to the processor power limits described in Package Power Control.
- Platform Power Limit 1 (PsysPL1): A threshold for average platform power that will not be exceeded - recommend to set to equal platform thermal capability.
- Platform Power Limit 2 (PsysPL2): A threshold that if exceeded, the PsysPL2 rapid power limiting algorithms will attempt to limit the spikes above PsysPL2.
- Platform Power Limit 3 (PsysPL3): A threshold that if exceeded, the PsysPL3 rapid power limiting algorithms will attempt to limit the duty cycle of spikes above PsysPL3 by reactively limiting frequency.
- PsysPL1 Tau: An averaging constant used for PsysPL1 exponential weighted moving average (EWMA) power calculation.
- The Psys signal and associated power limits / Tau are optional for the system designer and disabled by default.
- The Psys data will not include power consumption for charging.
- The Intel Dynamic Tuning (DTT) is recommended for performance improvement in mobile platforms. Dynamic Tuning is configured by system manufacturers dynamically optimizing the processor power based on the current platform thermal and power delivery conditions. Contact Intel Representatives for enabling details.